MOC Showcase: Sunset at Topaz Falls

Over the past month, I've been working on something big. In fact, it's the biggest MOC I've ever built! It's my entry for my first ever LEGO Ideas challenge, "An Escape, a Reset, in the A-Frame Cabin". First, I'll share some photos and then I'll show you my build process from start to finish! Welcome to Topaz Falls!

You can view this MOC on LEGO Ideas here!

The MOC

Sunset at Topaz Falls

A new family has finally arrived to their A-Frame Cabin. After settling in, they decide to spend the evening following a nearby trail. It leads them through the forest all the way to Topaz Falls, a beautiful waterfall rumored to be hiding a secret, glowing crystal! As the sun begins to set behind the snow-capped mountains around them, the family winds down in all different ways: fishing, canoeing, birdwatching, and of course, eating snacks around the campfire! It looks like some squirrels may have found their snacks too! Mom also brought lanterns for everyone and her guitar to play later, and whoa! Dad just caught a fish! The family dog and his new froggy friend can’t believe it! Meanwhile, butterflies dance in the wind, and birds are perched amongst the trees all changing colors with the season. The family enjoys the rest of their night spending time with each other as they watch the sun set over their cozy cabin in the distance. To me, this is the perfect way to relax in nature.

The family spends time together with the sun setting behind them! At over 8000 pieces, this is the biggest MOC I've ever built!


The glowing topaz shimmers behind the waterfall! Bats lurk in the cave above...

 Cattails and lily pads surround the lake giving the frogs plenty of space to play! 

The family's A-Frame Cabin is in the distance surrounded by the mountains and plenty of trees!
 

Specifications

  • 8132 pieces
  • Dimensions: 29.4 x 24.8 x 12.5 in. (74.6 x 63.1 x 31.7 cm)
  • Weight: 174.648 oz. (4951.2 g) 

 

The Build

First, I started by shaping out the lake! I knew it was going to be a focal point, so I wanted to have something to work around right from the beginning. I also built the first version of the dock!

Next, I started figuring out how the waterfall could work and built the campfire! I also put lots of shaping underneath the water, but unfortunately, it never showed up in any renders. Then, I started working on the grass! As you can see, I still hadn't decided on a color yet!

I worked on the grass some more, and added some rocks!

Here, I finished building the dock and built up the waterfall some more!

Then, I added more details to the waterfall and lots of rockwork!

This is where things started shaping up! I finally put in the minifigures, and I built a micro-scale A-Frame Cabin for the background!

Then I added more details and rockwork on the left! You can also see where I started brainstorming the idea to have a crystal hidden behind the waterfall!

I finally got the cave done here and tied it into the waterfall!

First mountain: done!

Second mountain: done! Plus lots of detail and the sunset!

Here, I finally added the first trees!
Now all that's left to do is the finishing touches!
 

This MOC has been so fun to put together! I've never built anything like this before, but I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! Feel free to let me know what you think! There are so many amazing creations for this contest, so I can't wait to see the results! I wish everyone who entered the best of luck!

I hope you enjoy this MOC! And don't forget to check it out on LEGO Ideas here! :)

Keep building,

Carter


Comments